Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, we may earn a small commission for qualifying purchases.
Pressure side pool cleaners are self-propelled and clean your pool using your existing pool pump or a booster pump to help propel them around the swimming pool.
The use of pressure makes these cleaners more efficient compared to conventional suction cleaners. They’re faster and more powerful.
But you have to do a little research, if you’re in search for the best model. This is so, since there are quite many of them in the market.
We will give you some answers after taking into account a number of important factors, and point you to the ten best models that will do a great cleaning job of your pool.
Our top selection for this roundup is the Pentair LL505G Letro Legend Pool Cleaner. This is a great choice for darker colored swimming pools.
Not to mention that it is a very stable four-wheeled design that comes with the best pool cleaning features.
- 1 Top 10 Best Pressure Side Pool Cleaner
- 1.1 Pentair LL505G Letro Legend Pool Cleaner – Best Overall
- 1.2 Polaris 280 All Season Pressure Side Pool Cleaner – Best Pool Cleaning Kit
- 1.3 Zodiac F5T Pressure Side Pool Cleaner – Best Three Wheel Design
- 1.4 Polaris Vac-Sweep 3900 Sport Pressure Side Pool Cleaner – Best PosiDrive System
- 1.5 Pentair LL505PMG Pressure Side In-Ground Pool Cleaner – Best Dual Thrust Jets
- 1.6 Zodiac Turbo Turtle Pressure Side Pool Cleaner – Best Model for Aboveground Pools
- 1.7 Zodiac F5B Polaris 280 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner – Best Anti-Tangle Hose
- 1.8 Pentair 360228 Racer Pressure Side Pool Cleaner – Best Front Rotating Brush
- 1.9 Zodiac Polaris 165 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner – Best Float Hose Design
- 1.10 Polaris Vac-Sweep 65 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner – Best Value for Money
- 2 Buying guide
- 3 Conclusion
Top 10 Best Pressure Side Pool Cleaner
Pentair LL505G Letro Legend Pool Cleaner – Best Overall
The Pentair Kreepy Krauly LL505G Legend can clean an entire pool in under three hours.
And it is the best overall choice for darker colored swimming pools.
- Large intake throat
- Steady grip traction
- Large capacity collection bag
- Versatile sweep hose
- Four wheel design
The LL505G Letro Legend has an independent booster pump, which is great because it is able of delivering optimum cleaning power, speed, and performance.
This cleaner has four wheels instead of three found in conventional models, which means it is more stable and it doesn’t tip over easily as the debris bag gets full.
The four wheel drive system is the best in the industry because it offers more traction and more speed on sloppy pool bottoms and walls.
Another good feature that comes with this model is the powerful built-in backup valve that’s programmed to maneuver out of tight spots easily.
But the thing is, the LL505G Letro Legend may come with missing parts, especially the leaf bag attachment.
- Booster pump design delivers optimum power and speed
- Four wheel design doesn’t tip over even when the bag is full
- Four wheel drive system generates superior traction and speed
- Easy to maneuver tight spots with the built-in backup valve
- Large intake valve makes cleaning large debris a breeze
- Possible to receive a model with missing parts
- Booster pump is sold separately
The LL505G Letro Legend is designed to offer the best performance. It’s probably the only pressure side pool cleaner that’s capable of cleaning an entire pool under three hours.
Polaris 280 All Season Pressure Side Pool Cleaner – Best Pool Cleaning Kit
Ideal for removing debris from in-ground pools as well as other surfaces, the Polaris 280
All Season Pool Cleaner includes a shaft drive, inline backup valve, and a tail sweep pro.
- Powered by double jets
- Requires a booster pump
- Shaft drive with classic tires
- Works with tail sweep pro
- Inline backup valve
The Polaris 280 All Season requires a booster pump to effectively power the unit, which is good because the pump supplies the needed PSI for effective cleaning.
It’s ideal for sweeping, scrubbing, and vacuuming the bottom and the walls of all in-ground swimming pools of any given shape and size.
You will really appreciate the inline backup valve that does a great job of powering the automatic backup so as to prevent cornering when cleaning tight spots.
Another great feature is the cleaner’s compatibility with tail sweep pro, which is good because the tail sweep pro delivers 50 percent more flow for superior sweeping.
But beware, you can very easily receive a Polaris 280 with a defective collection bag and holder.
- Booster pump design delivers more pressure for cleaning
- Shaft drive system improves traction on the pool floor
- Inline backup valve prevents cornering around tight spots
- Tail sweep pro provides maximum water propulsion
- Comes with a complete kit that includes replacement bags and feed hoses
- It’s easy to receive a defective collection bag
- Seller may refuse to back up their product
It may take you sometime to figure out how to attach the Polaris 280 to your new pool. But once you do, you will appreciate its performance.
Zodiac F5T Pressure Side Pool Cleaner – Best Three Wheel Design
The Zodiac F5T Pressure Side Pool Cleaner offers good pressure side vacuum power for picking up almost any type of debris on your pool surface.
- Booster pump required
- Large capacity filter bag
- Three wheel design
- Dual venture jet vacuum
- Inline backup valve
This unique model requires the additional power of a booster pump, which enables it to circulate warm, clean water and pick large debris.
The superior pressure created by the booster pump ensures the skimmer is free to get rid of surface contaminants and debris.
The cleaner has a large capacity filter bag that effectively collects all the debris before it goes to the pump basket and filter, prolonging the life of the pool’s filtration system.
The Zodiac F5T is equipped with a quality inline backup valve, which does a good job of freeing the cleaner around corners and tight spots.
What you may not like; however, is the fact that the cleaner doesn’t do a good job of cleaning fine debris. And sometime it gets stuck on stairs.
- It’s a high pressure design that offers optimal power
- Inline backup valve helps free the unit from tight spaces
- Large capacity filter bag improves pool filtration
- Maximized circulation helps move water to reduce cold spots
- A great choice for all in-ground pools
- May not be the best choice for cleaning fine debris
- You have to incur extra cost of the booster pump
The Zodiac F5T Pressure Side Pool Cleaner is a good choice for all in-ground pools. But it may not be the best choice for cleaning fine debris.
Polaris Vac-Sweep 3900 Sport Pressure Side Pool Cleaner – Best PosiDrive System
Introducing the Polaris Vac-Sweep 3900 Sport, a good quality pressure side pool cleaner that features the best PosiDrive system.
- All wheel PosiDrive system
- Dual chamber super bag
- Tail sweep pro compatible
- Requires a booster pump
- 31 feet of feed hose
This model needs a dedicated pressure line as well as a booster pump to effectively power up its hydro gears and supplement your pool’s filtration system with additional water.
You will really appreciate the all-wheel PosiDrive system, considering that its stainless steel drive chain generates more torque for maximum speed as well as performance.
This product comes with a dual chamber zippered super bag, which is great because it allows the unit to clean more debris, making the cleaning process faster.
It is also equipped with a tail sweep pro, which is a powerful sweep hose enhancement that does an amazing job of blowing debris out of hard to reach spots and corners.
There is one flaw in the design, though. One of the tubes/hoses is not strong enough to hold onto the screw cap when water pressure increases.
- Booster pump supplies the extra pressure needed for maximum performance
- PosiDrive system delivers superior torque performance
- Dual chambered super bag allows for faster and more effective cleaning
- Tail sweep pro blows debris easily out of corners
- Supplements your pool with 40 GPM of extra pool filtration
- One of the tube attachment isn’t strong enough and may become loose
The Polaris Vac-Sweep 3900 Sport offers reliable pool vacuum power, good traction, and effective debris collection. But you are likely to face some design flaws.
Pentair LL505PMG Pressure Side In-Ground Pool Cleaner – Best Dual Thrust Jets
The Pentair LL505PMG is a uniquely designed front wheel drive pressure side cleaner that will do a good job of cleaning all your in-ground swimming pools.
- Dual thrust jets
- Front wheel drive
- Foul wheel design
- Disposal debris bag
- Lightweight frame and improved wheel design
This good quality pressure side cleaner has dual thrust jets, which is a great because they deliver maximum power of suction and speed.
The cleaner features a front wheel drive system and heavily treaded tires, which together offer maximum traction for superior coverage of all your pool walls and floor.
You will really like the large capacity debris channel that comes with the Pentair LL505PMG, considering how easily the huge intake throat picks up debris and leaves.
But this product has a few inadequacies, though. It may not clean shallow ends of your pool properly and the debris bag gets holes easily.
- It is a good choice for cleaning darker colored pools
- Dual thrust jets generate maximum speed and power
- It gives great traction for superior floor coverage
- Four wheel design prevents tipping
- Large capacity debris channel makes the cleaning process faster
- Doesn’t do a very good job of cleaning shallow ends
- Debris bag gets damaged easily
The Pentair LL505PMG dual thrust jets produce the power and speed you need for cleaning your pool. But be prepared to buy replacement debris bags more frequently.
Zodiac Turbo Turtle Pressure Side Pool Cleaner – Best Model for Aboveground Pools
If you are looking for a high performing pressure side pool cleaner for your aboveground pool, look no further than the Zodiac Turbo Turtle.
- Good low pressure design
- Patented jet sweep
- Unique filter bag
- Quick and easy installation
The Zodiac Turbo Turtle doesn’t require a booster pump. It works perfectly fine with pumps and filtration systems, which are usually found on aboveground swimming pools.
This product comes with a jet sweep assembly that does an amazing job of blowing water against the walls of your pool to loosen debris in tight spots.
It comes with a heavy-duty filter bag that ensures all the debris is collected before reaching the filter or pump basket. This helps to prolong the life of the pool’s filtration system.
But the thing is, the brand’s customer support team isn’t very responsive and it may take a while before you get a customer support agent talking to you about your problem.
- Jet sweep design blows debris out of tight spaces
- Filter bag ensures that all the debris is trapped
- Installation is remarkably easy and quick
- Flexible hose that doesn’t tangle easy
- Turbo turtle colorful looks help decorate your pool
- Poor and slow customer response time
- One of the jets may malfunction
The Zodiac Turbo Turtle is a great option for any aboveground swimming pool. It may take a few hours to clean your pool, but it will get the job done eventually.
Zodiac F5B Polaris 280 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner – Best Anti-Tangle Hose
The Zodiac F5B Polaris 280 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner is compatible with in-ground swimming pools and it runs self-sufficiently off the power of its booster pump.
- Requires a booster pump
- Connects to a 1.5-inch dedicated line
- Three wheel design
- 31 feet of feed hose
- Heavy-duty tail sweep attachment
This in-ground pool cleaner automatically vacuums, scrubs, and sweeps your pool from top to bottom in about three hours or less.
It has an enlarged opening at the bottom to pick up and collect debris like pebbles, and leaves.
Plus, it has an exceptional filter bag that removes the debris before it reaches the filter.
It has a double jet design, which is a great feature that provide superior vacuuming power for faster and more effective pool cleaning.
Another good feature is that the cleaner can run self-sufficiently off its booster pump, increasing the pressure needed to effectively clean your pool.
There is a possibility of receiving a refurbished product. The three wheel design may also prove to be a disappointment because it has a tendency of getting stuck.
- Easy to connect to a dedicated pressure cleaner line
- Runs effectively off a booster pump for superior cleaning
- Enlarged opening makes debris collection super easy
- Double jet assembly makes cleaner faster
- Has a good tail sweep attachment that increases water propulsion
- Possible to receive a refurbished product
- Three wheel design may get stuck in tight spaces
The Zodiac F5B Polaris 280 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner is a good option for use with dark bottomed pools. But the three wheel design may prove challenging to use.
Pentair 360228 Racer Pressure Side Pool Cleaner – Best Front Rotating Brush
Introducing the Pentair 360228 Racer, a quality pressure side pool cleaner that offers maximum debris removal within the shortest duration possible.
- It needs a booster pump
- Front rotating brush
- Quick Snap-On debris bag
- Large intake bag
- Ultra-bright LED light
The Pentair 360228 Racer efficient design starts with a quick connect hose fitting, which is great because it is easy to connect as well as disconnect from any dedicated pressure line.
This model features a massive front rotating brush that scrubs as well scours for a deep detailed cleaning of debris, pebbles, and leaves at the floor of the pool.
The vacuum tube is also larger in diameter, which is a great thing because it allows the unit to swallow debris from the pool floor with remarkable ease.
Unlike other cleaners, the Pentair 360228 Racer cleans in both forward and reverse modes for faster and more efficient cleaning.
But the thing is, the parts on this unit aren’t long-lasting. You might probably replace the feed line wall connector a few times for as long as the unit remains operational.
- Quick connect hose fitting allows for quick installation
- Front rotating brush scrubs debris easily off the pool floor
- Large diameter vacuum tube hastens the cleaning process
- Cleans in both forward and reverse directions
- Ultra-bright LED light illuminates the water at night
- Some parts may require frequent replacements
- May get stuck on the stairs
The Pentair 360228 Racer is an innovative pressure side pool cleaner for all your in-ground pool cleaning. But some parts are cheaply made.
Zodiac Polaris 165 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner – Best Float Hose Design
Introducing the Zodiac Polaris 165, a decent quality pressure side pool cleaner that features one of the best float hose designs.
- Operates with filtration systems and pumps
- Patented jet sweep assembly
- Unique filter bag
- 1.5-inch threaded return line
- Float hose of 32 feet
The Zodiac Polaris 165 is compatible with the filtration system and pump found on most fiberglass and vinyl pool surfaces.
This pressure side pool cleaner features a patented jet sweep design that blows water against the walls of the pool to release debris.
It has an easy to remove filter bag that is so good at trapping all the debris and dirt before it reaches the filter or the pump basket.
But buyer beware, you can easily receive a used or refurbished product that has issues, such as defective jets and the inability to move back and forth.
- Great choice for cleaning fiberglass and vinyl in-ground pool surfaces
- Effective at removing debris from hard to reach places
- Easy to connect to the filtration systems and pumps of in-ground pools
- Filter bag prevents debris and dirt from reaching the filter or the pump basket
- Has a suitably long hose that doesn’t tangle easily
- Possible to receive a used or refurbished model
The Zodiac Polaris 165 will do a good job of cleaning your in-ground pool. But it might take you some trial and error to get the ideal hose length for your pool.
Polaris Vac-Sweep 65 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner – Best Value for Money
The Polaris Vac-Sweep 65 is one of the most economical pressure side pool cleaners for your aboveground swimming pool.
- Patented jet sweep assembly
- Connects to filtration systems and pumps
- Innovative filter bag design
- 1.5 inch threaded return line
- Float hose of 24 feet
This worry-free pressure side pool cleaner has no moving parts. Instead, it attaches to the pressure side of your filtration system.
The cleaner has an innovative debris bag at the bottom with a venturi on it, which is great because it is capable of pulling in leaves and other debris.
Its patented jet sweep design generates enough power for blowing out debris from tight as well as hard to reach places.
The cleaner; however, has a poor quality hose that has the tendency of tangling. It has to be supervised to make sure that the hose doesn’t twist.
- It’s a reasonably priced pressure side cleaner
- Venturi effect helps pull debris and leaves easily
- Random cleaning pattern allows you to swim while the cleaner does its job
- Extremely easy to connect to the filtration system and pump
- Hose has a tendency of twisting
- May not effectively clean the entire pool
The Polaris Vac-Sweep 65 is a great choice for a tight budget. But you shouldn’t overestimate its performance and know beforehand that the hose isn’t anti-tangling.
Getting the best model that befits your budget and pool cleaning requirements doesn’t have to be a difficult proposition.
Here are a few things that we strongly advise you to take into account.
Low Pressure or High Pressure Design
There are two main types of pressure side swimming pool cleaners you can consider: low pressure and high pressure designs.
The low pressure designs don’t require a booster pump, but they tend to have a slightly larger diameter feed hose compared to the high pressure models.
These cleaners only connect to one of the wall returns of your pool, which means they are not suitable for pools with slit or floor returns.
You can conveniently connect a low pressure model to your regular return line using compatible adapters.
The main advantage of this design is their cheap price point and less stressful installation process.
But the low pressure may not be the best choice for cleaning large pools.
High pressure side pool cleaners; on the other hand, need a booster pump for them to be operational.
Usually, they would need a higher PSI for the hydro-gears to run.
Most models would require a 3/4 horsepower booster pump that can provide more than 50 PSI for the ultimate performance as well as efficiency.
Another great feature of high pressure models is the automatic operation. They can automatically turn themselves on and off to save energy.
Choose a High Quality Booster Pump
This goes for the high pressure models that require a booster pump.
We insist that you choose a high quality model because not all booster pumps are created equally.
The best booster pump is supposed to be highly powered for maximum efficiency.
The most appropriate model should have 3/4 horsepower that can generate 50 PSI at 12 GPM.
The booster pump should have an ergonomic drain plug that is integrated with an O-ring for easy tool-less removal when winterizing or draining.
You should also go for an industry leading design that offers superior compatibility with your pressure side pool cleaner and filtration pumps.
You don’t want to buy a pressure side pool cleaner that comes with a flimsy construction because it will not last long.
Go for a model that comes heavy-duty wheels and drive system that is capable of providing 50% more torque needed for propelling the cleaner around the pool.
Make sure it comes with a strong bag, preferably a dual-chambered zippered bag that can pick as well as store more debris.
This will reduce the number of times you have to clean the bag.
Also, look for a pressure side pool cleaner that comes with a high quality tail sweep, which not only improves sweeping but also prevents water from spraying out of your pool.
A good tail sweep should be able to improve the flow by about 50%. A higher velocity gives a superior feed for the ultimate sweeping action.
It is also good to ensure that you can get a good replacement tail sweep in case the original one fails.
There should be a good aftermarket option with snap and quick attachment.
The winner of this roundup is Pentair LL505G Letro Legend Pool Cleaner. This exceptional product does a much better job compared to most highly priced models.
It comes with a very innovative and robust construction that is front wheel driven for generating maximum traction for superior pool coverage.
Unlike three wheel pressure side pool cleaners, the four wheel design on this model prevents tipping for unattended and uninterrupted performance.
Its heavy-duty tail sweep allows for ultimate sweeping action and eliminates spray.
Don’t forget the high capacity bag and large intake throat for easy picking of large debris.