Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, we may earn a small commission for qualifying purchases.
Are you searching for the best above ground or Intex pool vacuum cleaner?
Do you need a pool vacuum that is reliable, super easy to use, and needs very little maintenance while still getting your Intex pool clean and ready for swimming quickly?
No problem! We’ve got you covered.
After looking at numerous models and carrying out in-depth research, we were able to come up with the five best vacuums for your Intex above ground pool.
Our selections were based on all the important factors you would want a pool vacuum cleaner to have, such as strong suction, wide overage, smart navigation, and durable construction.
- 1 5 Best Vacuums for Intex Pool Reviews (2021 Update)
- 1.1 1. Dolphin Escape Robotic Above Ground Pool Cleaner – Best Overall
- 1.2 2. Pool Blaster Cordless Above Ground Pool Cleaner – Best Portable Design
- 1.3 3. Pentair Kreepy Krauly E-Z Vac Suction Cleaner – Best Hydraulic Design
- 1.4 4. Zodiac Ranger Suction Side Vacuum Cleaner – Most Long-Lasting Plastic Parts
- 1.5 5. Aquabot Pool Rover Hybrid Robotic Pool Cleaner – Best Reusable Filter Bag
- 2 Buying Guide
- 3 Final Thoughts
Our top pick for this roundup is the Dolphin Escape Robotic Aboveground Pool Cleaner. This robotic pool cleaner ticks all the boxes, and it delivers near-perfect performance.
5 Best Vacuums for Intex Pool Reviews (2021 Update)
1. Dolphin Escape Robotic Above Ground Pool Cleaner – Best Overall
Introducing the Dolphin Escape Robotic Above Ground Pool Cleaner, an innovative and advanced automatic vacuum that will clean all debris and dirt off your Intex pool walls and floor.
- Suction rating of 4000 GPH
- Smart navigation
- Contains two motors
- Covers up to 30 feet
- Suitable for fiberglass, vinyl, and plaster pools
This unique vacuum and scrubbing machine offers many features, including hyper brush scrubbing, smart scanning, advanced filtration, and continuous rubber tracks.
It is equipped with heavy-duty dual motors, which are engineered to be as efficient as possible, using less energy than most other above ground pool vacuums.
This robotic vacuum cleaner comes with a significantly long cable that measures forty feet, which is great because it allows the cleaner to cover hard to reach places.
You will really appreciate the advanced scanning and mapping system of this little machine, given the fact that it intelligently navigates the floor for effective pool cleaning.
Another great feature that comes with this unit is a hyper brush, which is great because it frees stuck-on particles, bacteria, and algae from the pool surface.
But the thing is, the customer support isn’t very responsive, just in case you face some difficulties while using this vacuum pool cleaner.
- Delivers superior suction power
- Hyper brush dislodges all stuck-on dirt
- Rubber tracks ensure maximum traction
- Smart scanning and mapping of the pool surface
- Comes with a significantly large debris cartridge
- Poor/unresponsive customer support
- Not suitable for larger above ground pools
This robotic cleaner offers the latest and most advanced pool cleaning technologies.
Not to mention that no supervision is necessary; you just set it up and go. It will do all the cleaning.
2. Pool Blaster Cordless Above Ground Pool Cleaner – Best Portable Design
The Pool Blaster is a state-of-the-art, cordless, rechargeable pool cleaner for an Intex above ground pool. It’s lightweight, powerful, and cleans your pool perfectly every time.
- Cordless design
- Powered by a rechargeable Li-ion battery
- No hoses or suction lines
- The 10.5-inch removable vacuum head
This amazing portable pool vacuum cleaner works without complicated installations, which is great because it works without hose fittings or suction lines, and it’s completely independent.
The Pool Blaster has an advanced high flow filter pump just a few inches from the pool surface, giving you powerful and reliable vacuum suction.
This powerful cleaner has a reusable filter bag that captures leaves, twigs, large, small debris, and algae. Once filled, it’s easy to clean by rinsing out with water.
It comes installed with an on/off push button switch and a high quality charging adaptor that clicks into place to charge the unit.
The cleaner is powered by a Lithium-ion battery, which is great because it fully recharges in approximately four hours.
This pool cleaner, however, will clog when your Intex above ground pool is filled with sand particles. You will have to stop and clean the filter regularly.
- No installation of suction lines or hoses
- The cordless design eliminates the use of tangling power cords
- Reusable filter bag does a great job of capturing dirt and debris
- Convenient push-button switch for easy start-up
- Long handle with a soft-sided and comfortable grip
- May not be capable of picking sand particles
- The battery takes pretty long to recharge
The Pool Blaster is one of the most efficient, portable, and easy vacuum for Intex pool that you can consider buying.
3. Pentair Kreepy Krauly E-Z Vac Suction Cleaner – Best Hydraulic Design
Are you actively looking for the best automatic pool cleaner? Look no further than the Pentair Kreepy Krauly E-Z Vac Suction Cleaner.
- Superior hydraulic design
- Hose length of 32 feet
- One moving part
- Free skimming valve
The first thing that we like about this vacuum is the heavy-duty hydraulic design, which is a great feature because it generates maximum vacuuming power.
The flapper is the only operational moving part of this unit. So, there are no gears or wheels to replace, making the unit maintenance free and dependable.
It is integrated with a free skimming valve that regulates the water flow automatically to make sure that the pool cleaner operates at the most ideal cleaning speed.
What makes this machine unique is the random cleaning pattern, which is a good thing because it will be capable of covering every inch of your Intex pool walls and floor.
The Kreepy Krauly comes with a few parts, including the body, seal, wings, hoses, and connectors. It will not be a challenge for you to put it together.
But the thing is, the parts of this pool cleaner are not wearing resistance. So, you should be expecting to replace some parts in the future, such as the seal and the wings.
- Produce optimum vacuuming power for easy cleaning
- No gears or wheels that may require regular maintenance
- Easy setup right out of the box
- Random cleaning pattern covers a wider area
- The free skimming valve maintains optimum cleaning speeds
- Possible to incur replacement costs of parts in the future
- Requires a longer connection of hoses
This is a great choice for a new Intex pool owner. It’s fairly easy to put together and operate and requires very minimal maintenance.
4. Zodiac Ranger Suction Side Vacuum Cleaner – Most Long-Lasting Plastic Parts
Introducing The Zodiac Ranger, a high performing pool vacuum cleaner that will leave your Intex pool spotless with its powerful cleaning suction.
- One moving part design
- Unique deflector wheel
- Flow keeper valve to maintain consistent flow rate
- Insta-skim self-adjusting valve
- Feed hose of 32 feet
This pool cleaner has only one moving part, which is great because it eliminates any infuriating flapper or hammer noise for a quieter and quicker operation.
The machine is equipped with a strong deflector wheel that ensures it does not get caught on corners, ladders, and steps during cleaning.
The Zodiac Ranger is fitted with an AG disc, which is great because it enables the unit to glide smoothly around steps and along the bottom of your Intex pool.
The pool vacuum comes with an insta-skim valve that is self-adjusting, regulating the water flow rate automatically to maintain optimum performance.
You will really appreciate the fact that it comes pre-assembled, making the installation much easier since you only have the feed hose to set up.
Another great feature is its compatibility with most sand filter pumps. So, it should work just fine with either a 1hp or 1.5hp sand filter pumps.
But beware, you can easily receive a model with missing parts, which will not run as expected.
- Few moving parts translate to minimum maintenance
- Works with most sand filter pumps
- Glides smoothly around steps and along the floor
- Self-adjusting valves maintain optimum performance
- The pre-installed unit allows for a stress-free setup
- May receive a Zodiac Ranger with missing parts
- Some models may have a poor quality AG disc
The Zodiac Ranger is a great Intex pool cleaner as long as it is moving. So, make sure you get a model that comes with all the parts.
5. Aquabot Pool Rover Hybrid Robotic Pool Cleaner – Best Reusable Filter Bag
Looking for an affordable robotic pool cleaner with the best reusable filter bag for your Intex pool?
Look no further than the Aquabot Pool Rover Hybrid Robotic Pool Cleaner.
- Cleans up to 5400 square feet per hour
- Jet-propelled system
- Self-contained filtration
- Automated guidance system
The Aquabot Pool Rover highlights the latest technology with a strong pump and the industry’s finest filtration.
It will remove more and finer debris while thoroughly mixing the water in your Intex pool. Substantially, reducing the number of chemicals needed.
This machine comes equipped with a jet-propelled system that not only vacuums and filters dirt and bacteria but also deep cleans the floor of your pool.
The Aquabot Pool Rover is a self-contained unit, which is great because it doesn’t require external pumps, filtration system connection, or feed hoses.
You will really appreciate the built-in guidance system, considering that no supervision is necessary once you have it on and running.
The unit is engineered for efficiency and improved health of your pool, considering how effective it is at micro-filtering dirt and debris.
There are a few design flaws, though, depending on the model you receive. For instance, the one we tested had a tangling cord.
- Has its own internal pump motor
- The filter bag is reusable and long-lasting
- A self-contained unit that doesn’t need feed hoses or booster pumps
- Filters and deep cleans at the same time
- Has a reliable patented guidance system
- May receive a tangling cord
- Possible to receive a model with defective parts
The Aquabot Pool Rover is not the perfect automatic pool vacuum cleaner out there, but it does a great job when you get a model with no design issues.
The choice for the best vacuum cleaner for your Intex pool is limitless. You have all kinds of vacuums and suction mechanisms to choose from.
But! How do you know which one is the best selection for your Intex pool? It’s easy, take into account the following factors during your search.
Know Your Pool Size
Folks! Intex pools come in different sizes, which can easily affect your pool vacuum selection. We are mainly interested in the diameter or length/width of a pool.
Most Intex Easy Set Pools range from 8 to eighteen feet in diameter with a height range of thirty to fifty-two inches.
For such a pool size range, you can choose vacuum cleaners with either small or large coverage. You can even consider manual vacuums.
Mots Intex Metal Frame pools have a slightly larger size range of ten to twenty-four feet in diameter with a height range of thirty to fifty-two inches.
These pool sizes will be better cleaned with vacuums with medium to extensive coverage. You may not want to choose a manual pool vacuum because of their limited coverage.
The bigger sizes are usually of the Intex Rectangular Ultra Frame Pools. The smallest model may measure 18 by 9 feet, while the largest may measure 32 by 16 feet.
For the rectangular frame pools, you will have no choice but to only choose vacuums with wider coverage per feet.
Different Types of Pool Vacuums
Once you have determined the size of your Intex pool, the next important step is to choose the ideal types of pool vacuum. Here are the most popular types you will come across.
Robotic Pool Vacuums
One thing we like about robotic pool vacuums is that they’re easy to use. There’s no need to do any set up with them.
You basically plug them into the power unit or whichever controller they come with and drop the vacuum into your pool and let it start cleaning.
When compared to most pool vacuums out there, most robotic models are known for their impeccable performance.
What are the advantages of robotic pool cleaners?
- Ease of use – drop it into the pool, plug it in, and the vacuum will do all the work for you
- Self-contained design – there are no hoses or booster pumps that connect to cleaner, making them more convenient
- A robotic cleaner is independent of your pool equipment – it is not like a suction cleaner that attaches to your skimmer and all the debris and dirt goes into your pool filtration system
- Long-term reliability – unlike ordinary suction vacuum cleaners, newer robotics technologies are emerging with smarter ways of cleaning your pool
Suction Side Pool Cleaners
These are vacuum cleaners that attach to the suction of your plumbing. This type of vacuum cleaners speaks of the pipes and fittings that channel water to the filtration system.
This refers to the water that is being pulled out of the swimming pool by the filtering pump. These pool vacuum cleaners are normally attached to one of the suction hoses at the pool.
The suction driven pool cleaning devices may be configured to vacuum the pool floor to remove submerged dirt and debris.
They may also be configured to move on the pool’s surface to skim debris and dirt before the contaminants have a chance to sink to the bottom of the pool.
What are the benefits of suction side pool cleaners?
- They are economical and remarkably easy to install
- Suitable for small-sized pools
Pressure Side Pool Cleaners
These cleaners roll around on wheels and use the pressure of the water either from a separate booster pump or with the existing pool pump to help propel them around the pool floor.
The pressure is also what forces and keeps debris or dirt into the bag, which is one of the greatest advantages of this type of pool vacuum cleaners.
What are the benefits of pressure-side pool cleaners?
- They are great at picking up large debris, such as leaves or pine needles
- These cleaners have a tail, which assists in brushing the debris from the pool floor
Manual Pool Vacuum Cleaners
Manual Pool Vacuums are the most basic pool cleaner models you will come across in the market. They don’t use any electricity or batteries, and they are completely independent of your pool system.
What are the benefits of manual pool vacuums?
- No electricity or batteries are needed for them to be operational
- They are inexpensive and suitable for tight budgets
- They are extremely easy to use
- They are very effective for spot cleaning your pool
You might have the right type of vacuum cleaner for Intex pools, but is it powerful enough to clean your pool without leaving some contaminants behind.
The rule of thumb is, choose a vacuum cleaner with superior vacuuming or suctioning power. The more powerful it is, the more effective it will clean your pool.
One of the most essential parts of any vacuum cleaner is the filtration system. It goes without saying that the filter’s quality will affect the vacuum’s ability to clean your pool.
Pick a vacuum cleaner that is installed with a versatile filter. One that will trap all kinds of contaminants, including leaves, debris, dirt, dust, and even algae.
Then, make sure the filter is easily removable for cleaning. It should also be easy to reinstall once you are done cleaning.
They play a big role in how your swimming pool is cleaned. You need a pool vacuum cleaner that comes with all the relevant attachments.
For example, most high-end robotic models will come with a hyper brush for removing stuck-on debris, algae, and other contaminants on the floor, stairs and walls of your Intex pool.
Our overall best selection is the Dolphin Escape. Finally, you can buy an above ground pool vacuum for your Intex pool that actually works as described.
It is unlike conventional vacuums because it doesn’t require constant supervision. You just set it up and walk away, knowing that you will return to find a spotlessly clean pool.
This pool vacuum doesn’t stumble over drain covers or other objects in its way. It just powers on and cleans right up to the edge of your pool effortlessly.
It picks up everything, including leaves stuck to the bottom, algae, and even small stones. Best of all, it requires very little maintenance.