Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, we may earn a small commission for qualifying purchases.
A good vacuum is essential for cleaning vinyl plank floors. This is particularly true for homeowners who hate cleaning.
Vinyl plank flooring is a two-ply product with adhesive strips that overlap in the seam areas where two planks meet. Therefore, this vinyl plank flooring needs extra care to prevent any damages.
The choices of vacuum cleaners are wide-ranging. You will come across canisters, uprights, sticks, handhelds, and even robot vacuum cleaners.
But we mainly recommend upright and stick vacuums. In this post, we have reviewed five of the finest upright and stick models for your selection.
Our top pick is the Shark Navigator NV352 Upright Vacuum. This high performing model comes with a lift-away design, HEPA filtration, and action brush roll shutoff feature.
- 1 5 Best Vacuum for Vinyl Plank Floors Reviews
- 1.1 1. Shark Navigator NV352 Upright Vacuum – Best Overall
- 1.2 2. Shark Rocket HV302 Vacuum – Most Lightweight Upright Design
- 1.3 3. Bissell Featherweight Stick 2033 Vacuum – Most Lightweight Stick Design
- 1.4 4. Dyson V7 Motor Head Cordless Stick Vacuum – Best Cordless Design
- 1.5 5. Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner – Good Value for Money
- 2 Buying Guide
- 3 Conclusion
If you don’t have time to read the complete article, here are our top picks.
5 Best Vacuum for Vinyl Plank Floors Reviews
The Shark Navigator NV352 is an upright vacuum cleaner that is very easy to maneuver or move around. It easily cleans luxury vinyl plank floors as well as hardwood floors and carpets. This is the best vacuum for luxury vinyl floors.
- Lift-away design
- HEPA + anti-allergen complete seal
- Swivel steering and easy to carry
- Brush roll shutoff
- Dust cup capacity of 1.1 quarts
This vacuum is lightweight and easy to clean, comes with a lift-away design, which is a good feature because you can easily convert it into a canister vacuum for overhead cleaning.
The suctioning power of this floor and carpet cleaner is very impressive. It really does not lose any suction power when transitioning from one surface to the other.
The cleaner has swivel steering, which is an excellent feature because it offers you superior control for maneuvering around furniture and along the edges. We feel this is one of the best vacuum for vinyl plank floors available out there.
The 1.1 quarts dust cup features upright bagless cyclonic technology. This means you don’t have to worry about replacement bags. Also, emptying the dust cup is pretty easy.
Another good thing about this cleaning system is that it comes with a HEPA filtration system and anti-allergen complete seal, making the unit ideal for people who are allergic to dust and dirt.
But the thing is, this vacuum cleaner is a little bit fragile. It can easily get damaged when you tip it over. Also, the vacuum tends to overheat when used over longer durations.
- Converts easily into a vacuum cleaner for stairs and overhead cleaning
- Generates sufficient suction for cleaning all your vinyl plank floors
- Easy to maneuver
- Swivel steering provides you superior maneuverability around furniture
- Bagless dirt cup is capacious and easy to empty with a push of a button
- The HEPA filter traps all embedded dirt and debris preventing them from escaping back into the air.
- The vacuum cleaner is a little fragile
- Make sure to keep in mind that it may overheat over a longer cleaning session
- Does not come with a dual tank system that separates dirty water and clean water
With this vacuum, you get excellent suction power, superior maneuverability, great attachments, and a very good price point.
2. Shark Rocket HV302 Vacuum – Most Lightweight Upright Design
Introducing the Shark Rocket HV302, the most lightweight upright vacuum cleaner that generates superior suction for cleaning all your vinyl plank floors.
- Ultra-lightweight design
- Easy to maneuver
- Swivel steering
- Converts to a hand vacuum
- 25-foot power cord
- Generates powerful suction
This vacuum features rocket suction technology, which generates truer no loss of suction power efficiency than Shark engineers ever imagined possible.
An enhanced swivel steering system offers you excellent control for easy handling and maneuvering of the vacuum along edges and around furniture.
This cleaning machine is incredibly versatile, considering how easy it converts from an ultra-light upright vacuum to a portable handheld vacuum.
The handheld vacuum is suitable for quick pickups no matter where the mess occurs. It can be on your furniture, ceiling, counters, drapes, and window seals.
At only 8 pounds, the Shark Rocket features an extra-long 25-foot power cord, allowing you to clean all your vinyl plank floors without any hassles. We feel this is the best vacuum for vinyl plank floors available out there.
But the thing is, this vacuum for vinyl floors comes with an ordinary filter. So, you should consider other options, if you are an allergy or asthma sufferer.
- Delivers powerful suction on the vinyl plank and other surfaces
- Enhanced swivel steering offers you superior maneuverability
- It easily converts into a hand vacuum for portable cleaning
- Designed to pick both large and small dirt particles
- Bagless technology eliminates the need for replacement bags
- Comes with an ordinary filter, which may not be ideal for allergy sufferers
- This high-quality vacuum doesn’t feature a two-tank technology system.
Why would you use any other vacuum when you can have premium performance and versatility in this lightweight, compact floor cleaning machine?
3. Bissell Featherweight Stick 2033 Vacuum – Most Lightweight Stick Design
The Bissell Featherweight Stick 2033 gives you a versatile bagless upright vacuum without the heaviness. It is the perfect choice for everyday cleaning of your vinyl plank floors.
- Super lightweight stick design
- Weight: 8.5 pounds
- smart touch controls
- This cleaner comes with great suction
- Bagless technology that’s easy to empty
- Converts into a hand or stair vacuum
- Standard filtration system
- 15-foot power cord
This vacuum for vinyl floors weighs only 3 pounds, which is significantly less than most ordinary vacuum cleaners, making it perfect for carrying upstairs or for quick cleanups, and comes with a 15-foot long power cord.
The Bissell Featherweight is the perfect multi-task cleaner. It is suitable for all your vinyl plank and hardwood floors as well as carpeted surfaces.
It quickly and effortlessly converts into a hand vacuum, which is ideal for speedy pickups from curtains to upholstery.
The built-in crevice tool and nozzle will make it easy getting into those hard to reach places, such as the edges of your sofa or the stairs. We feel this is the best vacuum for vinyl plank floors available out there for effective cleaning.
The compact design allows you to get into the toughest of corners, such as behind furniture and underneath the refrigerator stand for quick pickups.
It comes with a suitably long 15-foot long power cord, which is a good feature because you will make fewer socket changes.
But we wish the vacuum cleaner had a roller brush; in addition, to the suction opening. Also, getting a replacement filter is not very easy.
- Ultra-lightweight design is easy to transport upstairs
- Picks up all kinds of dust and debris.
- This cleaner comes with great suction
- Long power cord covers a significantly large area without changing sockets
- Generates powerful suction for cleaning vinyl plank floor and other floor types
- Transforms into a handheld vacuum cleaner for quick pickups
- Integrated crevice tool and floor nozzle make cleaning hard to reach spaces easy
- Does not come with a roller brush
- Getting a replacement filter might be challenging
The Bissell Featherweight is the most lightweight and versatile stick vacuum. It is powerful, easy to use, and highly convenient for homes with vinyl plank floors.
4. Dyson V7 Motor Head Cordless Stick Vacuum – Best Cordless Design
Introducing the Dyson V7 Motor Head, the best cordless vacuum cleaner that comes fully equipped for cleaning vinyl plank floors, cleaning carpets, and your hard floor. With this high-efficiency cordless machine, you do not have to worry about a power outlet.
- Thirty minutes of no-fade suction power
- Adjustable suction settings and easy to assemble
- Convenient docking station
- Converts into a handheld unit
- Comes with 2-year warranty
- The direct-drive cleaning head
This is a cordless stick vacuum, which means there is no power cable to the plugin, unravel, drag around, or even restrict your reach when cleaning tight spaces. It does not take a lot of time to able to clean hard-to-reach spaces.
It has a high-quality battery power system that packs enough juice, providing you with up to thirty minutes of consistent no-fade suction for all your cleaning chores. When it comes to the cleaning process, use a vacuum-like this as it also comes with long-lasting battery life.
You will really appreciate the low profile head of this cleaner, considering how easy it goes under furniture and refrigerator stand for quick cleanups and easily pick up all the pet hair.
It comes with a high-quality docking station, which not only stores but also charges the vacuum cleaner. You can also store additional attachments on the docking station.
What you will like most about this machine is that it effortlessly transforms into a handheld unit for spot cleaning and easy access to tight spaces.
But the thing is, the motorhead tends to push and scatter large particles on hard floors. Also, the motorhead doesn’t perform excellently on carpeted floors.
- Cordless design allows you maximum maneuverability and is easy to use
- Delivers no-fade suction for up to thirty minutes on low setting
- Low profile head goes effortlessly underneath furniture
- You can charge and store the unit on the docking station
- Converts into a handheld vacuum cleaner for spot cleaning
- May not be the best choice for cleaning larger particles
- Not the most convenient option for carpeted floors
It is an awesome vacuum for vinyl floors that does a great job of cleaning a vinyl floor, and it effortlessly converts into a portable unit for hard to reach areas.
5. Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner – Good Value for Money
This lightweight powerful stick vacuum for vinyl flooring is perfect for quick cleanups of your vinyl plank floors when you don’t want to haul out your full-size vacuum.
- Cordless, lightweight design and easy to assemble
- No-fade suction power
- Comes with a dusting brush
- Ergonomic and reclining handle design
- Features edge cleaning bristles
- Comes with a 2-years warranty
- Uses wind tunnel technology
The Hoover Linx Bagless up-right vacuum is a lightweight, cordless vacuum that you can conveniently carry upstairs and from one room to another. We feel this is the best stick vacuum out there.
The most impressive feature that comes with this vacuum is the battery system, which provides 30 minutes of suction on a low setting and up to 15 minutes on a high setting.
This unit is fitted with a convenient power level indicator, which is a good feature because it lets you know how much charge is remaining.
It comes with various height adjustments for easy cleaning adjustments when cleaning heavy or low pile carpets.
At the base is the famous Hoover wind-tunnel technology, a power nozzle that is very effective at deep cleaning all your carpet types.
With a stiff brush design, you can expect great results even for a household full of pets and pet hair. It will pick all the pet hair from your vinyl plank floors. This is one of the best vacuums for vinyl plank flooring.
But the thing is, the battery and the docking station don’t have long-lasting durability. One of them will stop working at some point.
- It is cordless and lightweight for easy carry up and down stairs and is easy to use
- Offers up to 15 minutes on high setting and 30 minutes on low setting
- Wind tunnel technology makes carpet and hard floor cleaning a breeze
- Stiff brush design makes it ideal for the vinyl plank floor and other floor types
- Picks up the pet hair with ease.
- Picks up all kinds of dust and debris.
- Has an extra-large cleaning path
- Low profile design goes easily under furniture
- Doesn’t come with the most durable battery system
- It comes with a standard filtration system, which may not be the best for allergy sufferers
If you are looking for a vacuum cleaner that is built for both vinyl plank floors and carpet cleaning, then look no further than the Hoover Linx.
There are two main steps to choose the best vacuum cleaners for your vinyl plank floors, including the type and design features of the vacuum.
There are at least five different types of vacuums you can consider for your hard floors, including handheld, canister, upright, stick, and robot vacuum cleaners. You can use each of them for different types of floors.
A handheld type of vacuum cleaner for vinyl floors is the most portable option, which is usually useful for cleaning upholstery, curtains, and furniture.
But this type of vacuum cleaner is not an ideal choice for cleaning your vinyl floor. It has a very small vacuum width, which might take you forever to clean a single floor.
The canister types offer you the largest cup for cleaning several floors in a single cleaning session. However, they are not the most popular choice among homeowners.
Upright and stick vacuum cleaners are all vertical standing cleaning machines. But the stick vacuum cleaner is lighter compared to upright models.
Both types come highly recommended for vinyl plank floor cleaning. In fact, all the best selections are either upright or stick vacuums. Robotic vacuum cleaners are also perfect to clean vinyl floors. In our view, robot vacuums are highly recommended.
The next important considerations are the features of the vacuum cleaner. There are a few important features that are crucial during your selection.
Bagged vs. Bagless
Bagless and cyclonic central vacuum systems provide minimal protection against ingestion, inhalation, and even contact with harmful allergens.
We are all aware of the importance of using a trash bag to collect dust particles.. No one wants to touch, let alone have to breathe in the unpleasant smell from the garbage. These work perfectly well for vinyl plank flooring.
Unlike upright bagless dust cups, bagged systems eliminate the need of dealing with the horrible smell, dander, dirt, skin cells, bacteria, and mold among others.
The great thing about a proper bagged system is that it offers protection against 99.9 percent of harmful allergens.
Corded vs. Cordless
It goes without saying that the differences between the two systems are obvious.
A corded vacuum cleaner will always provide you with powerful strong suction to clean the floor, and you will never have to worry about the battery running out.
But a corded system keeps you tethered to a wall socket, which means you have limited maneuverability. It may be impossible for you to clean hard to reach areas.
A cordless stick vacuum; on the other hand, offers you unlimited maneuverability. But it generates less suction power, and the battery would only last a maximum of 30 minutes on a low setting.
Our overall best choice is the Shark Navigator NV352 Upright Vacuum. This model comes highly recommended for cleaning luxury vinyl plank floors.
It generates a very powerful suction that will not fade across different surfaces. You can even adjust the suction to customize that allows you to clean vinyl floors.
What is truly impressive about this vacuum is the combination of anti-allergy seal and HEPA filtration system, making it the most ideal choice for allergy and asthma sufferers.
Generally, we recommend upright and stick models for your vinyl floor. But you should be careful when deciding between a bagged and a bagless design.