Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. This means that at no cost to you, we may earn a small commission for qualifying purchases.
A good vacuum is essential for cleaning vinyl plank floors. This is particularly true for homeowners who hate cleaning.
Vinyl plank flooring is a two-ply product with adhesive strips that overlap in the seam areas where two planks meet. Therefore, this flooring needs extra care to prevent any damages.
The choices of vacuum cleaners are wide ranging. You will come across canisters, uprights, sticks, handhelds, and even robotics.
But we mainly recommend upright and stick vacuums. In this post, we have reviewed five of the finest upright and stick models for your selection.
Our top pick is the Shark Navigator NV352 Upright Vacuum. This high performing model comes with a lift-away design, HEPA filter, and brush roll shutoff feature.
- 1 Top 5 Best Vacuum for Vinyl Plank Floors Reviews
- 1.1 Shark Navigator NV352 Upright Vacuum – Best Overall
- 1.2 Shark Rocket HV302 Vacuum – Most Lightweight Upright Design
- 1.3 Bissell Featherweight Stick 2033 Vacuum – Most Lightweight Stick Design
- 1.4 Dyson V7 Motor Head Cordless Stick Vacuum – Best Cordless Design
- 1.5 Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner – Good Value for Money
- 2 Buying Guide
- 3 Conclusion
Top 5 Best Vacuum for Vinyl Plank Floors Reviews
The Shark Navigator NV352 is an upright vacuum cleaner that is very easy to maneuver. It easily cleans vinyl plank floors as well as rugs and carpets.
- Lift-away design
- HEPA filter + anti-allergen complete seal
- Swivel steering
- Brush roll shutoff
- Dust cup capacity of 1.1 quarts
This vacuum has a lightweight, lift-away design, which is a good feature because you can easily convert it into a canister vacuum for overhead cleaning.
The suctioning power of this cleaner is very impressive. It really does not lose any suction power when transitioning from one surface to the other.
The cleaner has swivel steering, which is an excellent feature because it offers you superior control for maneuvering around furniture and along the edges.
The 1.1 quarts dust cup features bagless cyclonic technology. This means you don’t have to worry about replacement bags. Also, emptying the dust cup is pretty easy.
Another good thing about this floor cleaning system is that it comes with a HEPA filter and anti-allergen complete seal, making the unit ideal for people who are allergic to dust.
But the thing is, this vacuum cleaner is a little bit fragile. It can easily get damaged when you tip it over. Also, the vacuum tends to overheat when used over longer durations.
- Converts easily into a vacuum cleaner for stairs and overhead cleaning
- Generates sufficient suction for cleaning all your vinyl plank floors
- Swivel steering provides you superior maneuverability around furniture
- Bagless dirt cup is capacious and easy to empty with a push of a button
- HEPA filter traps all dirt, making the unit ideal for allergic people
- The vacuum cleaner is a little fragile
- May overheat over a longer cleaning session
With this vacuum, you get excellent suction power, superior maneuverability, great attachments, and a very good price point.
Shark Rocket HV302 Vacuum – Most Lightweight Upright Design
Introducing the Shark Rocket HV302, the most lightweight upright vacuum cleaner that generates superior suction for cleaning all your vinyl plank floors.
- Ultra-lightweight design
- Swivel steering
- Converts to hand vacuum
- 25-foot power cord
- Generates powerful suction
This vacuum features rocket suction technology, which generates truer no loss of suction power efficiency than Shark engineers ever imagined possible.
Enhanced swivel steering system offers you excellent control for easy handling and maneuvering of the vacuum along edges and around furniture.
This cleaning machine is incredibly versatile, considering how easy it converts from an ultra-light upright vacuum to a portable handheld vacuum.
The handheld vacuum is suitable for quick pickups no matter where the mess occurs. It can be on your furniture, ceiling, counters, drapes and window seals.
At only 8 pounds, the Shark Rocket features an extra-long 25 foot power cord, allowing you to clean all your vinyl plank floors without any hassles.
But the thing is, this vacuum comes with an ordinary filter. So, you should consider other options, if you are an allergy or asthma sufferer.
- Delivers powerful suction on vinyl plank and other surfaces
- Enhanced swivel steering offers you superior maneuverability
- It easily converts into a hand vacuum for portable cleaning
- Designed to pick both large and small dirt particles
- Bagless technology eliminates the need for replacement bags
- Comes with an ordinary filter, which may not be ideal for allergy sufferers
Why would you use any other vacuum when you can have premium performance and versatility in this lightweight, compact floor cleaning machine?
Bissell Featherweight Stick 2033 Vacuum – Most Lightweight Stick Design
The Bissell Featherweight Stick 2033 gives you a versatile bagless vacuum without the heaviness. It is the perfect choice for every day cleaning of your vinyl plank floors.
- Super lightweight stick design
- Bagless technology that’s easy to empty
- Converts into a hand or stair vacuum
- Standard filtration system
- 15 foot power cord
This vacuum weighs only 3 pounds, which is significantly less than most ordinary vacuum cleaners, making it perfect for carrying upstairs or for quick cleanups.
The Bissell Featherweight is the perfect multi-task cleaner. It suitable for all your vinyl plank and hardwood floors as well as carpeted surfaces.
It quickly and effortlessly converts into a hand vacuum, which is ideal for speedy pickups from curtains to upholstery.
The built-in crevice tool and floor nozzle will make it easy getting into those hard to reach places, such as the edges of your sofa or the stairs.
The compact design allows you to get into the toughest of corners, such as behind furniture and underneath the refrigerator stand for quick pickups.
It comes with a suitably long 15-foot power cable, which is a good feature because you will make fewer socket changes.
But we wish the vacuum had a roller brush; in addition, to the suction opening. Also, getting a replacement filter is not very easy.
- Ultra-lightweight design is easy to transport upstairs
- Long power cord covers a significantly large area without changing sockets
- Generates powerful suction for cleaning vinyl plank and other floor types
- Transforms into a handheld vacuum for quick pickups
- Integrated crevice tool and floor nozzle make cleaning hard to reach spaces easy
- Does not come with a roller brush
- Getting a replacement filter might be challenging
The Bissell Featherweight is your most lightweight and versatile stick vacuum. It is powerful, easy to use, and highly convenient for homes with vinyl plank floors.
Dyson V7 Motor Head Cordless Stick Vacuum – Best Cordless Design
Introducing the Dyson V7 Motor Head, the best cordless stick vacuum that comes fully equipped for cleaning vinyl plank floors, carpets, and hard floors.
- Cordless stick vacuum
- Thirty minutes of no-fade suction power
- Convenient docking station
- Converts into a handheld unit
- Direct drive cleaner head
This is a cordless stick vacuum, which means there is no power cable to plug in, unravel, drag around, or even restrict your reach when cleaning tight spaces.
It has a powerful battery system that packs enough juice, providing you with up to thirty minutes of consistent no-fade suction for all your cleaning chores.
You will really appreciate the low profile head of this cleaner, considering how easy it goes under furniture and refrigerator stand for quick cleanups.
It comes with a convenient docking station, which not only stores but also charges the vacuum. You can also store additional attachments on the docking station.
What you will like most about this machine is that it effortlessly transforms into a handheld unit for spot clean and easy access to tight spaces.
But the thing is, the motor head tends to push and scatter large particles on floors. Also, the motor head doesn’t perform excellently on carpeted floors.
- Cordless design allows you maximum maneuverability
- Delivers no-fade suction for up to thirty minutes on low setting
- Low profile head goes effortlessly underneath furniture
- You can charge and store the unit on the docking station
- Converts into a handheld vacuum for spot cleaning
- May not be the best choice for cleaning larger particles
- Not the most convenient option for carpeted floors
It is an awesome vacuum that does a great job of cleaning vinyl floors, and it effortlessly converts into a portable unit for hard to reach spaces.
Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner – Good Value for Money
This lightweight powerful cordless stick vacuum is perfect for quick cleanups of your vinyl plank floors when you don’t want to haul out your full-size vacuum.
- Cordless, lightweight design
- No-fade suction power
- Ergonomic and reclining handle design
- Features edge cleaning bristles
- Uses wind tunnel technology
The Hoover Linx is a lightweight, cordless vacuum that you can conveniently carry upstairs and from one room to another.
The most impressive feature that comes with this vacuum is the battery system, which provides 30 minutes of suction on low setting and up to 15 minutes on high setting.
This unit is fitted with a convenient power level indicator, which is a good feature because it lets you know how much charge is remaining.
At the base is the famous Hoover wind tunnel power nozzle that is very effective at deep cleaning all your carpet types.
With a stiff brush design, you can expect great results even for a household full of pets. It will pick all the pet hair from your vinyl plank floors.
But the thing is, the battery and the docking station don’t have long-lasting durability. One of them will stop working at some point.
- It is cordless and lightweight for easy carry up and down stairs
- Offers up to 15 minutes on high setting and 30 minutes on low setting
- Wind tunnel technology makes carpet cleaning a breeze
- Stiff brush design makes it ideal for vinyl plank and other floor types
- Low profile design goes easily under furniture
- Doesn’t not come with the most durable battery system
- It comes with standard filters, which may not be the best for allergy sufferers
If you are looking for a vacuum cleaner that is built for both vinyl plank floors and carpet cleaning, then look no further than the Hoover Linx.
There are two main steps in choosing the best vacuum cleaner for your vinyl plank floors, including type and design features of the vacuum.
There are at least five types of vacuums you can consider for your floors, including: handheld, canister, upright, stick, and robotics.
A handheld vac is the most portable option, which is usually useful for cleaning upholstery, curtains, and furniture.
But this is not an ideal choice for cleaning your vinyl floors. It has a very small vacuum width, which might take you forever to clean a single floor.
The canister types offer you the largest dust cup for cleaning several floors in a single cleaning session. However, they are not the most popular choice among homeowners.
Upright and stick vacuums are all vertical standing floor cleaning machines. But the stick models are lighter compared to upright models.
Both types come highly recommended for vinyl floor cleaning. In fact, all the best selections are either upright or stick vacuums.
The next important considerations are the features of the vacuum cleaner. There are a few important features that are crucial during your selection.
Bagged vs. Bagless
Bagless and cyclonic central vacuum systems provide minimal protection against the ingestion, inhalation, and even contact with harmful allergens.
We are all aware of the importance of using a trash bag in our dustbin. No one wants to touch, let alone have to breathe in the unpleasant smell from garbage.
Unlike bagless dust cups, bagged systems eliminate the need of dealing with the horrible smell, dander, dirt, skin cells, bacteria, and mold among others.
The great thing about a proper bagged system is that it offers protection against 99.9 percent of harmful allergens.
Corded vs. Cordless
It goes without saying that the differences between the two systems are obvious.
A corded vacuum cleaner will always provide you with a powerful suction, and you will never have to worry about the battery running out.
But a corded system keeps you tethered to a wall socket, which means you have limited maneuverability. It may be impossible for you to clean hard to reach places.
A cordless vacuum; on the other hand, offers you unlimited maneuverability. But it generates less suction power, and the battery would only last a maximum of 30 minutes on a low setting.
Our overall best choice is the Shark Navigator NV352 Upright Vacuum. This model comes highly recommended for cleaning vinyl floors.
It generates a very powerful suction that will not fade across different surfaces. You can even adjust the suction to customize your cleaning.
What is truly impressive about this vacuum is the combination of anti-allergy seal and HEPA filter, making it the most ideal choice for allergy and asthma sufferers.
Generally, we recommend upright and stick models for your vinyl floors. But you should be careful when deciding between a bagged and a bagless design.